Saturday, May 29, 2010

Love

For Amanda and Mervyn, from The Alchemist. Our hero, Santiago, has just seen the love of his life for the first time.

At that moment, it seemed to him that time stood still, and the Soul of the World surged within him. When he looked into her dark eyes, and saw her lips that were poised between a laugh and silence, he learned the most important part of the language that all the world spoke - the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love. Something older that humanity, more ancient than the desert. Something that exerted the same force whenever two pairs of eyes met, as had theirs here at the well. She smiled, and that was certainly an omen - the omen he had been waiting for, without even knowing he was, for all his life.

1 comment:

  1. This is so touching. How does one best respond to a gesture like this? I have an idea **huge hug**

    This reminds me of the moment when Mervyn dropped me back off at the hotel the first of my last days in Paris. It broke my heart to think that I may never see him again. I wrote in my diary on the plane that morning that I felt I was leaving something incredibly dear. Love is bigger than all of us, and the fact that we can access it across the globe is enough to make one believe in something bigger.

    ReplyDelete